Continuing Education Insight
Florida Continuing Education Update
By: Lindsey Tatum, Milestone Continuing Education
Physical therapists and physical therapist assistants with Florida licenses are required to complete a total of 24 continuing education credit hours every 2 years regardless of the location of their practice. Please review the following physical therapy continuing education checklist:
Physical Therapists & PT Assistants:
- 24 PT CEUs completed every 2 years
- 2 hours of course material must pertain to the prevention of medical errors
- (Initial Licensure only) 1 hour of HIV/AIDS course material
- 22 hours of general course material pertaining to the practice of physical therapy
- 12 hours (maximum) may come from online physical therapy CEUs
- 12 hours or more may come from physical therapy continuing education seminars or classes
- State standards for PT CEUs
- PT CEUs approved by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) qualify
- PT CEUs approved by the American Physical Therapy Association qualify
- One (1) credit hour is considered the same as one (1) contact hour
One unique aspect of being a Florida PT or PTA is that your license travels with you. To keep up the mobility, Florida PTs and PTAs may consider obtaining their continuing education from online resources. Downloadable CEUs allow jet-setting PTs and PTAs the ability to progressively work through their CE requirement as their schedule allows, regardless of their location!
This post was provided by Lindsey Tatum from Milestone Continuing Education.
Disclaimer: It is ultimately the responsibility of the practitioner to be aware of changes to their continuing education requirements. Check your state board’s website to insure you are up to date on your requirements, as they frequently change.
Milestone Continuing Education is an APTA approved provider of physical therapist and physical therapist assistant continuing education. Look for our discount on the homepage of RehabEdge.com.