Printer Friendly Copy
Orthopedic Physical Assessment: The Spine: Module 9: Thoracic Spine
Discipline(s): Physical Therapy
Contact Hours: 3
Registration Fee: $51
1. Identify applied anatomy of the costovertebral joints, costotransverse joints,
costochondral joints, and sternocostal joints.
2. Identify the resting position, close packed position, and capsular pattern of the
facet joints of the thoracic spine.
3. Differentiate between true, false and floating ribs.
4. Differentiate between the 4 types of kyphotic deformities.
5. Recognize curve patterns and prognosis in idiopathic scoliosis.
6. Identify the 3 common chest deformities.
7. Identify the active movements of the thoracic spine.
8. Identify costovertebral expansion and methods of measuring chest expansion.
9. Differentiate between a depressed rib and an elevated rib.
10. Differentiate between the 3 types of rib dysfunctions.
11. Identify the muscles of the thorax and abdomen; their actions and nerve supply.
12. Identify functional disability scales used for the thoracic spine.
13. Differentiate between 3 special tests commonly performed on the thoracic spine.
14. Identify thoracic muscles and pain referral patterns.
15. Identify joint play movements of the thoracic spine.
16. Recognize the differential diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis and thoracic spinal
Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, and Athletic Trainers.
Instructional Level: Beginner/Intermediate
Course Goals: This course is intended to instruct the professional through a self-paced study on the applied anatomy, observation, examination and case studies of the shoulder.
This course utilizes text from the hardback textbook by David J. Magee “Orthopedic Physical Assessment” Fifth Edition ©2008. The fifth edition of “Orthopedic Physical Assessment” offers a straightforward, systematic approach to performing a neuromusculoskeletal assessment and explains the rationale behind various aspects of the assessment. Every joint of the body is covered, and separate chapters cover such specific topics as the principles of assessment, head and face, gait, posture, emergency sports assessment and the extremities. It also offers unparalleled coverage of the extremities, clear explanations of positions and movements, and extensive use of tables and illustrations including many radiographs to highlight key points.
This illustrated 1152 page book has been broken down by chapters into modules (check your states approval status in the state specific course catalog for your profession). Each module can be purchased separately or combined with one or all of the other modules as a bundle pack. Individual modules are available in our online format (PDF Download) available instantly, or by mail.
Dates and Locations
01-01-2020 - 01-01-2020, 12:00AM 12:00AM