Printer Friendly Copy
Prenatal Massage Module 2
Discipline(s): Physical Therapy
Contact Hours: 6
Registration Fee: $78
1. Identify 12 early signs of pregnancy.
2. Recognize Nagele’s Rule in determining the due date.
3. Recognize 7 ligaments of the pelvis that are overstressed and cause further weakening of pelvic integrity during pregnancy.
4. Identify amount of calcium pregnant and nursing women require.
5. Differentiate between 4 pairs of muscles of the anterior abdominal wall.
6. Recognize the deepest of the abdominal muscles is the transverse abdominis.
7. Recognize 3 appropriate prenatal exercises that should begin as early in the pregnancy as possible.
8. Recognize 8 iron-rich foods.
9. Identify and differentiate between 15 respiratory changes during pregnancy.
10. Define linea nigra.
11. Identify 6 absolute contraindications for prenatal massage.
12. Identify 9 contraindicated acupuncture and reflex points.
13. List 15 bladder irritants to avoid.
14. Recognize 5 treatments for bladder control.
15. List and differentiate between 6 types of pregnancy hypertension.
16. Recognize placenta previa occurs in 1 in 200 live births.
17. Recognize 3 causes of male infertility.
18. Recognize if the gluteus maximus muscles test weak, the therapist should treat the neurolymphatic reflexes located on the lateral aspect of both thighs and on the posterior aspect of the spine between L5 and S1.
Massage Therapists, Physical Therapists, and Physical Therapist Assistants.
Chapter 5: Physiology of Pregnancy
Chapter 6: Contraindications and Precautions of Prenatal Massage
Chapter 7: Treating High Risk and Bedridden Pregnancies
Chapter 8: Preconception Support
By Elaine Stillerman, LMT
This course utilizes text from the softback textbook by Elaine Stillerman, LMT “Prenatal Massage” ©2008. Authored by a well-known expert on prenatal massage, this comprehensive text helps you understand the intricate physiology of pregnancy so you can confidently apply appropriate massage techniques for each trimester, and throughout labor and postpartum. You'll find clear, colorfully illustrated explanations of a wide range of techniques and procedures, including Swedish massage, acupuncture points, myofascial release, trigger point therapy, lymphatic drainage, and reflexology. Contraindications and precautions are also provided where necessary to help you provide safe and effective care for every client. A companion DVD packaged that enables you to watch demonstrations of techniques is available with the purchase of all mail format bundle packs of 20 contact hours or more.
Dates and Locations
01-31-2020 - 01-31-2020, 12:00AM 12:00AM