Printer Friendly Copy
Prenatal Massage Module 1
Discipline(s): Physical Therapy
Contact Hours: 6
Registration Fee: $78
1. List 11 effects of stress on fetal development.
2. Define progesterone.
3. Recognize the uterus is supported by eight ligaments.
4. Identify 10 benefits of prenatal massage.
5. List and differentiate between the five types of miscarriage.
6. Recognize the myth that the abdomen should never be massaged during the first trimester.
7. Recognize the importance of activating the transverse abdominis while changing positions on a massage table.
8. Recognize safe positions during the first trimester including prone, supine, side-lying and sitting.
9. List 16 essential oils that are safe during pregnancy.
10. List 65 herbs and oils that are contraindicated in pregnancy.
11. Identify and differentiate between 4 categories of antidepressant medications.
12. Identify and differentiate between cultural differences of 6 different ethnicities.
13. Recognize 12 signs of possible abuse.
14. Recognize an abused woman can be referred to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence’s hotline or the American Institute on Domestic Violence.
Massage Therapists, Physical Therapists, and Physical Therapist Assistants.
Chapter 1: The Benefits of Prenatal Massage
Chapter 2: Dispelling the Myths of Prenatal Massage
Chapter 3: General Prenatal Massage Guidelines
Chapter 4: Emotional and Psychological Effects of Pregnancy
By Elaine Stillerman, LMT
This course utilizes text from the softback textbook by Elaine Stillerman, LMT “Prenatal Massage” ©2008. Authored by a well-known expert on prenatal massage, this comprehensive text helps you understand the intricate physiology of pregnancy so you can confidently apply appropriate massage techniques for each trimester, and throughout labor and postpartum. You'll find clear, colorfully illustrated explanations of a wide range of techniques and procedures, including Swedish massage, acupuncture points, myofascial release, trigger point therapy, lymphatic drainage, and reflexology. Contraindications and precautions are also provided where necessary to help you provide safe and effective care for every client. A companion DVD packaged that enables you to watch demonstrations of techniques is available with the purchase of all mail format bundle packs of 20 contact hours or more.
Dates and Locations
01-31-2020 - 01-31-2020, 12:00AM 12:00AM